Friday, February 22, 2008

It Happened


So I feel like the worst mother in the world, but I am trying to move on. Last night I forgot about my sweet little Sarah! I didn't leave her at a store or anything, but we all went to Costco and then pulled into the garage. I got out and had my arms full of mostly garbage and some other stuff so I went inside and up to the kitchen to put it away. On my way down I saw Grace coming up the stairs and told her to get pajamas on. I went out to the garage and Jamie said he had the rest of the groceries. So I shut the garage door and went and switched the laundry and took it upstairs to fold. I thought I heard someone in Sarah's room on the monitor downstairs in the office so I thought it was Sarah looking for pajamas. I sat there doing laundry while Jamie went to the bathroom and Grace was getting pajamas. It wasn't until Grace came into our family room and asked, "Where's Sarah?" Jamie and I looked at each other and then ran down to the garage. I had just assumed he got her out when we got Grace out and he assumed that when I came back downstairs I was coming to get her! Poor thing was hysterical strapped into her carseat in a dark garage! I felt horrible. When I was pregnant with Grace I had all sorts of dreams that I was leaving her at stores and always forgetting her. I was pleased that was not the case when I became a mother, but it finally happened. I forgot one of my children. So don't judge me too harshly because I feel awful. The nice thing is though that kids are so quick to forgive! In no time she was laughing and playing with me, even though I still had so much guilt!

13 comments:

heather said...

You forgot Sarah? Now I can see that easily happening to me but I have six to remember. You only have two!! What is going to happen when you have three? That happens to me all the time. Like the other night when I had Ryan take a bath and forgot he needed me to bring him a towel and he waited for more than 30 minutes. He was very sad when I finally remembered and he was all cold in the bathtub!

JC said...

at least you remembered that you forgot. haha, being forgotten builds character

The Fab Fabian Life said...

The good news is that she has already forgotten! When I nannied for the Penrose's they had just had their 5th or 6th and I was pulling out of the driveway one day and realized the baby was inside asleep--- we all forget sometimes :)

The Powells said...

O my sweet Brittany...remember you are pregnant and the mind just doesn't work the same!! I cant imagine how you felt, but the good news is that is wasn't grace who would then go tell maybe her preschool class or all kinds of people!!! And thanks for sharing this story, I know its not funny but it made me laugh!

The Powells said...

by the way...I love this little pic of Sarah

chelsea said...

oh no.... that's a pretty good story though. sweet little sarah. everyone has memories of being left places, it happens. the good news is she probably won't remember!

Grandma Bethany said...

Brittany...try not to be too hard on yourself. I know it is hard to not do that. You are a wonderful, caring and patient Mom. After seeing Sarah last night, I would have never known she had been upset. She was her usual darling, happy little girl.
We love her so much.
Grandma Stewart

Brynn said...

Brittany, this is Brynn the Worth's friend. I hope you don't mind I read your blog every once in a while. I had to comment because I too have done this to my little Ellie. Different circumstances same result. I know how you feel about the guilt but don't let it eat at you, at least she is okay. Hope you guys are doing good and congrats on the new baby!

us said...

That is so funny. I am sure that I have done that before to but since I have the brains of a child I wouldn't remember!!!

Heidi Rushing said...

We left Cassidy at a restaurant in Nauvoo! And look how well she has turned out!

heather said...

I think mom left you when we were going to disneyland (road trip) and turned around at the top of the circle when she remembered.

lacieinthesky said...

Oh Brittany, it's nice to know that you're not perfect! And it's nice to know that you forgot her somewhere safe and not at Costco. That is a darling picture by the way!

Shawni said...

This whole thing has probably been harder on you than her. I locked Stella in the car once and was a total mess for the whole day...mostly because she stilled loved me and was so sweet. Part of me wishes they would just stay mad for awhile! I am sure from now on you'll always double check the car! Lesson learned, right?