Saturday, November 7, 2009

Old or young?

So can you all remember when 30 seemed really old? I kind of can. Now that I'm 28, 30 doesn't seem very old. So throughout my life I have always felt very young. I am the youngest of 6 children, I was usually the youngest person in my dance/singing classes. When I started college and people would ask me what year I graduated and I would say 2000, they would all say oh wow you are so young. I think that one is just because 2000 sounds so much younger than just one year before when you could say 99. Then I graduated from college in 4 years, which is technically normal but can be quite a record these days. So then when I went into home health as a 22 year old RN all of my patients would ask me how long I had been a nurse. I could tell they were worried I didn't have enough experience. So anyway, to sum up I have often wondered when this feeling would change, I can't be the young one forever. So I have noticed the past few years, that none of my patients have asked me how long I have been a nurse, then I had a funny experience last night. We went to a pizza buffet for our friday night outing (yes that is as exciting as it gets around here!) Jamie had taken Grace and Sarah to get their food so I was sitting with Abi at our table. I overhear this couple in the booth next to me, here is their conversation. The boy, " She was, well mature looking." The girl, "Mature looking?" The boy, "Yes definitely mature looking." The girl, " So she definitely looked 30." The boy, " Oh yeah, she DEFINITELY looked 30." I had to stop myself from laughing outloud. What does that even mean? 30 isn't old. I looked over at them and thought, I don't look that much older than these 20 year olds. But then as I watched Abi shove some cheese, gold fish crackers, and ham cubes in her mouth all at the same time I realized something. I do look older than these people! I am this 30 year old person they are referring to! It just kind of struck me as a funny moment, so I thought I would share. I think I always thought I would somehow feel different when I got older. Some of patients will tell me how hard it is sometimes when they see a reflection of themself walking with their walker in the window because they will look at it and think, that's not me. I don't feel that old. I guess we never really change who we are or how we feel, unfortunately just the way we look!

4 comments:

heather said...

The patients questioning your age and experience made me laugh. I used to get that all the time and now that you mention it. . . it has been a few years since I've been asked. But at least it lasted a little longer for me. Booyah! I loved to shock them by responding, "I've been in home health for 10 years and have 6 kids. So there. Give me your dang arm and let me start your iv. (Or spread em and let me put in your catheter.)" This comment would've been better without that last comment but not as funny. Love ya little sis!

chelsea said...

Until we started hanging out regularly with you guys, I was always the young one too. Having an August birthday made me young for everything, graduated high school at 17, etc, etc. I've wondered recently too how old people think I am. I guess I'm starting to look older too, it happens to the best of us! But 30 isn't old, 60 doesn't even seem that old to me any more. Here's to lots more great years!

Grandma Bethany said...

I feel the same way every time I look in the mirror! Everyone has always been surprised about my age. The awakening moment for me was when no one asked for any I.D for a senior discount :(
I no longer can look at older people and say, "Oh they must be in their 60's!

us said...

Oh yuck. Don't talk about that. Of course we grew up way too fast popping out the babes and all, but honestly I still feel like I'm 20. You didn't have to remind me that we're approaching 30. Wierd!